TO OUR TRI-COUNTY CHURCHES, PASTORS AND FRIENDS
RE: HURRICANE RESPONSE
MONETARY DONATIONS: TCBA has established an account for hurricane relief monetary donations. Already churches and individuals have donated more than $1,800 to this fund. We will be receiving a special offering for hurricane relief at our Joint Worship Service and Annual Meeting on Sunday September 24 at Skyline Baptist Church in Branson.
After meeting with TCBA's Administrative Team and consulting with TCBA's disaster relief directors, the determination has been made to distribute the funds received for Harvey relief equally to:
(1) the disaster relief efforts of the First Baptist Church of Houston (click here to learn what this church is doing to assist those affected by Hurricane Harvey) and
(2) a Baptist association (to be determined) located in southeastern Texas that is serving an area that has not received as much publicity as Houston, but where churches and people are still suffering. We are in the process of contacting all the Baptist associations in SE Texas to learn of their needs.
We also encourage our churches and individuals to make financial donations to any of our Southern Baptist disaster relief agencies working to bring "help, hope and healing" in the midst of this crisis. Click on the links below to learn more:
GOING TO TEXAS TO VOLUNTEER:
from Missouri Baptist Disaster Relief 9/7:
- Feeding volunteers needed. Best case scenario is a team of 4 that could travel tomorrow. After that we will need a few more that can leave on Sundayas well as some that can leave in the middle of the week.
Contact Ron Hahs:
- 3-4 shower volunteers that could travel on the 18th and stay through the 23rd-24th needed. Please contact David Wells at 636-209-0019 or by email at: email@example.com
- 3-4 individual chaplains that can manage our shockwave distribution to leave asap.
Contact Hannah Ewart: firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-822-7713
- If you respond by email to any of these people, please include your NAME
- and PHONE NUMBER.
FBC of Texas City, 3210 Gulf Fwy , Texas City, TX 77591
TCBA Disaster Relief:
- Tri-County's disaster relief is forming a team to leave on September 28, for approximately five days, to work in the Texas City area (near Galveston). If you are interested in volunteering, send an email to TCBA's Disaster Relief directors Tom and Peggy Anderson (Union Ridge Baptist Church).
- updates on TCBA's Disaster Relief facebook page
Other ways to volunteer and help:
- Beyond TCBA's disaster relief teams, the websites listed above also give options to sign up to volunteer. NOTE: special training in disaster relief procedures and protocols, as well as a background check may be necessary before joining a team. Check with the sending organization to make sure before you go!
EMAIL SENT SEPT 7 BY RANDY REDDELL, DISASTER RELIEF VOLUNTEER FROM FIRST BAPTIST BRANSON:
We are back from Texas. We never got any further south than the Dallas Convention Center. We spent a week working in Childcare. We were housed out at the Texas Baptist Men's headquarters and got to see Dwain and Leslie quite a bit. They are doing fine but, wow, what a deal to walk into.
I may end up going back, either to Dallas or to Texas City/Galveston. Missouri DR has total responsibility for that area. Randy Ewart has an IC set up in Texas City but everything is so fluid (pardon the tasteless pun) that nobody exactly knows what will happen next.
Working in the Dallas Convention Center was something that is not possible to describe. So I won't even try. Just bad, bad, BAD!
9/7 from Missouri Baptist Disaster Relief:
Shower units that are not already in Texas and all chainsaw teams need to be on standby. Will continue to advise as landfall is determined.
9/7 from the Florida Baptist Convention:
video by Dr. Tommy Green, Executive Director, Florida Baptist Convention